Florida  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

When I rented my Deerfield Beach, FL, apartment water was included in the lease. I've been here almost 4 years and the landlord now wants to charge for water. We did not renew the lease, so I guess we are on a month to month plan now. Even if she can change the terms of my original rental agreement, there are 3 units listed on 1 bill and only 1 water meter, so there is no way to determine how much of the water consumption is mine. I live alone and am gone much of the time. The man next door lives slone also. But our 3rd neighbor has 2-3 people there regularly and frequent company. Also, we never see the bill, which I assume varies from month to month. Can she legally charge me for something she is not even certain I am using?

Answered on: 5/22/13, 9:41 am by Barry Stein

The agreement for the payment is subject to arm's length negotiation. If you dont like it you leave. She can legally charge whatever she wants. You can decide not to pay it and not live there OR you can negotiate the number with her.

De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary 25 SE 2nd Avenue Suite 425 Miami, FL 33131

Answered on: 5/22/13, 11:12 am by David Slater

Without your own meter, how can she know what your charges are?

David P. Slater, Esq. 5154 Windsor Parke Dr. Boca Raton, FL 33496