Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

I had a lawyer but decided to go with another lawyer but he said that he cant help me he already send the letter to request info on my case so my first lawyer knows i fired him is my first lawyer is still responsible to continue my case if i want to go back to my first lawyer? and what happens to his fee for the work he did if i cant find a lawyer to represent me?

Asked on 1/21/10, 5:22 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Alan Wagner Wagner, Vaughan & McLaughlin, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I assume your first lawyer was working on a contingency fee basis. If you fired him, then he is no longer your lawyer and has no responsibilities for you. If you make a recovery, he is due a fee for the value of his work -- whatever that was -- if you fired him. There are some exceptions, but they are few. You can go back to the first lawyer and he can decide whether he wants to represent you or not. Having fired him, he probably will not want to. Had he fired you, instead of you firing him, then he would not be owed a fee from any recovery.

Read more
Answered on 1/26/10, 6:04 pm
Lesly Longa Longa Law P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you fired him, he is no longer your attorney and does not have to take your case back. Check your fee agreement for further information. Regards,

Read more
Answered on 1/27/10, 5:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Personal Injury Law and Tort Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now