Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Florida

I thought I sold my home in 2006. I had to sell it quickly and was dealing with the "buyer" via long distance. I signed a "warranty deed" and now I find out the mortgage is still in my name and have been told I basically "gave the property away" while still "owning" the mortgage. The mortgage has always been paid on time but I don't want the home listed on my credit any longer and the company who said they purchased the house from me states they have been trying to find someone who qualifies. What can I do to get my name off this?

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

Execution of the deed only transferred your interest without a closing statement showing the mortgage was paid off, it would never be done. You should have had an attorney at that time. Is there paperwork about the closing and supporting what was to happen with the Mortgage? You cannot just get our name off. The mortgage needs to be paid off OR the bank needs to allow you off and accept the new owners. Seek legal help now.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Florida