Legal Question in Traffic Law in Florida

I work for a software outsourcing company from Europe and I have visited FL with a B1/B2 temporary visa in order to meet the clients that we are working with in order to get trained (not to work) for a new project.

A police officer pulled me over for speeding. He noticed that I have a foreign drivers licence. He asked me when did I get into the country and what is my purpose here. I answered that I came here in July 14 and I am training work related. He then told me that because I am past 30 days since I'm in FL and that I am training work related he has to give me a citation with a criminal offence because I was driving with an invalid licence (322.031).

I got the ticket and wrote a letter to the judge saying that I am leaving the country on Sunday before the court date; I've invoked the exceptions for not being required to have a FL drivers license, 322.04.

My question is what could/will happen? I want to resolve this. My employer is from Europe.

Craig Epifanio Craig Epifanio, P.A.

This is a misdemeanor and you can face up to 60 days jail. You need to have an attorney who may be able to negotiate this to a non-criminal infraction or other outcome. Don't try to do this yourself. Your ability to stay in the US may depend on this.

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Florida

Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA