Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

If a parent passes away, and they are mentally incompetent, and they leave their estate to a church, can the children protest the will

Asked on 8/19/12, 3:38 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

For a will to be valid in Florida the person must be competent. They must also make the Will free from any undue influence of persons receiving assets under the Will. Note that Florida law place time limits when objections to a Will may be filed. I suggest you speak with an attorney if you believe your parent was not competent at the time they signed their Will.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/12, 4:09 am
Sanford M. Martin Sanford M. Martin, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

An important issue is whether the person was sound of mind at the time of

executing the will. Subsequent lack of mental capacity is irrelevant. Leaving

assets to a religious entity does not indicate mental incompetence.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/12, 6:04 am
Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Consult a competent probate attorney. Both answers are very appropriate and on point. All facts must be considered in a circumstance such as this.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/12, 7:05 am
David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

He may, if he had a lucid moment. A will contest (which i have done) may be required.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/12, 8:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now