Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

The property in my dads living will requires hurricane insurance. The insurer refuses my payment saying the owner is deceased. I have inherited the property thru the trust. Do I have to file for a new deed?

Asked on 4/17/12, 2:34 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your question has some conflict in your explanation, so it is a bit difficult to know what the problem is. I will try to give some general information based on some assumptions.

It appears that Dad's Trust has realty that is to be distributed to you since he passed away. Therefore the Trust should distribute it and whether you get insurance or not is up to you.

Or, that your father has passed away and the Trust owns the property for your use and benefit (you are a life beneficiary). However, it does not provide that it is to be deed to you. That would explain the required hurricane insurance. In that case, the Trustee of the Trust needs to apply for the Insurance as the owner (though you may be a life beneficiary).

If I got it wrong, you are going to need to contact an attorney for a consultation to understand it better.

Read more
Answered on 4/17/12, 2:46 pm
David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Apparently they are refusing to insure the estate property. Some carriers will. If the estate has gone to probate, the Personal Representative can convey to the new owner by executing a deed. The new owner can then apply for insurance.

Read more
Answered on 4/17/12, 6:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now