Georgia  |  Bankruptcy

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/03/13, 4:57 am

Filed Chapter 7 in the beginning of 2012, discharged in mid 2012. One of the cards discharged was a capital one card. This same card/account was part of their lawsuit which Capital one lost. I'm sure you heard about it, as they has to pay 210 million to customers. I recently received a letter stating that per this lawsuit, they were 'crediting' my account in the amount of ~$600 (somewhere in that ballpark). can I request a check instead? Not sure how they can credit a closed account anyway.

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/05/13, 1:38 pm by Rachel Hunter

No. Your liability on the debt was discharged and you owe no money to Capital One but a debt was still owed to them by you. They are applying that towards any balance - its still uncollectible.

I am familiar with the lawsuit generally by the FTC against Capital One. However, I am not familiar with the terms of the settlement. Unless it gave affected consumers a right to demand and receive compensation then you are going to be stuck.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney address not available

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search