Georgia  |  Bankruptcy

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/02/13, 12:29 pm

Several years ago I co-signed for my then step-daughter to get a loan for a house. (Her mother's credit wasn't good enough.) After paying for several years, she moved out and no longer made payments. Her mother and I are now divorced. I have paid nothing because I was not, and am not, financially able. I am 65, starting social security in August, and am still paying on my own home. I don't think the bank has placed it in foreclosure yet. They call frequently, but I can't pay. Do I have any options other than bankruptcy? I do not want to do that, but I feel trapped. What would the repercussions of bankruptcy be? I need advice!!!

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/02/13, 4:12 pm by Glen Ashman

When you cosign a debt, you promise to pay it. That means one should NEVER cosign a debt one cannot pay.

Bear in mind that if you are sued, your own home is at risk. See a lawyer IMMEDIATELY to weigh options. Bankruptcy is one to seruiously look at.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search