Legal Question in Consumer Law in Georgia

Someone used my account to set up a direct tv account a year and 1/2 ago, because they terminated their contract early direct tv is now charging my account the balance due which is 442.72. I have an account with direct tv and my account is in good standing. They say they disclose this once an account is opened and a card is used, that they can use any card on file for charges. I never get a disclosure so how is this accurate, how can they legally do this? Its like i am guaranteeing an account without being asked or without being disclosed. how is this legal?

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

If you set up an account for someone else, it's likely considered your account and you're responsible for it. You haven't given us enough information to fully answer, but you never open an account for someone else unless you plan to pay for it, because that is usally what happens.

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

It depends on the rest of the story that we don't know - who is this "someone," what is your relationship to them, and how was the account set up in your name. Presumably, if this was a total stranger and complete surprise you would have told us. If you know more than you are sharing, responses won't really mean much without the rest of the story.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Georgia

Consumer Law Legal Forms