Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

How do I change my son's last name on his birth certificate in Georgia after I rescind paternal acknowledgment? Does Vital Records need a court order for the petition to correct a birth certificate or for the more expensive name change process? The petition for the correction only applies to minor changes. Plus it seems like the name change form doesn't apply to my particular situation because it requires the father to be served or it will be dismissed. Technically there will be no father after the paternal agreement rescission.

Asked on 4/27/13, 3:51 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I assume you are rescinding the paternity acknowledgment and possibly the legitimation form signed at the hospital within the one year requirement. Otherwise, I am unclear as to what the "paternal agreement rescission" is you are referring to. You need a court order to change a name on a birth certificate. I also do not know what you mean the petition for the correction only applies to minor changes. I suggest you retain an attorney to assist you.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/13, 6:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now