Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

How do I change my son's last name on his birth certificate in Georgia after I rescind paternal acknowledgment? Does Vital Records need a court order for the petition to correct a birth certificate or for the more expensive name change process? The petition for the correction only applies to minor changes. Plus it seems like the name change form doesn't apply to my particular situation because it requires the father to be served or it will be dismissed. Technically there will be no father after the paternal agreement rescission.

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino

I assume you are rescinding the paternity acknowledgment and possibly the legitimation form signed at the hospital within the one year requirement. Otherwise, I am unclear as to what the "paternal agreement rescission" is you are referring to. You need a court order to change a name on a birth certificate. I also do not know what you mean the petition for the correction only applies to minor changes. I suggest you retain an attorney to assist you.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia