Georgia  |  Family Law

child custody

My granddaughter was put in foster care when she was 9 years old because her mother was unfit. She was placed in my home and I got permanent custody of her. Her mother gave up all rights to her. Her father, my son was in prison at the time. She is now 15 years old. Her father got out of prison 6 months ago and is doing well. He has been working regularly and just recently remarried. He and his daughter have gotten really close. They want her to come live with them and she wants to go. What do we need to do to make this happen? Thank you!

Answered on: 5/24/04, 7:08 pm by Pearlie Bush

Re: child custody

Your son can file a petition for change of custody. You can consent to custody and because the child is over the age of 14 she can elect to live with her father. If the child was born out of wedlock, the father has to legitimate the child before filing for custody. He can do both in the same petition as long as you are consenting to both issues being heard. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact my office.

Attorney address not available

Answered on: 5/24/04, 7:11 pm by Pearlie Bush

Re: child custody

Your son can file a petition for change of custody. You can consent to custody and because the child is over the age of 14 she can elect to live with her father. The child must be legitimated first if she was born out of wedlock. This can be done at the same time if you will consent to the issue in the custody action. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact my office.

Attorney address not available