Georgia  |  Family Law

My children were taken from by DFCS. Instead of the court taking my rights I signed them over to the in-laws and they adopted them. Now that they are 16 and 13 they want to live with me. How can they do this?My children were taken from by DFCS. Instead of the court taking my rights I signed them over to the in-laws and they adopted them. Now that they are 16 and 13 they want to live with me. How can they do this?

Answered on: 7/29/13, 10:38 pm by Glen Ashman

They can't unless your in-laws both want to let you adopt them, since you're no longer legally related to the children. Even if your in-laws agree, DFCS may oppose you.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Answered on: 7/30/13, 7:23 am by Robert Gardner

You need to understand that, since they were adopted by people who are not related to you, you have no more rights or relationship to the children in the eyes of the law than a stranger. They could only live with you if you were to adopt them back, or if the adoptive parents gave you guardianship by them. And, I agree that DFCS, if they would still have a problem with you or your living situation, could step back in if they see fit.

Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler Street Winder, GA 30680