Georgia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/26/13, 8:22 am

My sons father and I are not married. We all originally lived in pa(son was born there) we both signed assumption of paternity papers at hospital. My sons father verbally aloud me to move to Georgia with our son. Can I get I'm trouble for moving my son out of state and how long do I have to wait to file for full custody after we began to live here?

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/26/13, 3:04 pm by Tahira Piraino

Interesting question. The problem is I have no idea what an "assumption of paternity papers" means in PA. In Georgia, the father has no right to custody or visitation until he has legitimated the child. You as the mother can allow visitation, but there is no legal right. Under Georgia law, if the father has not legitimated, you already have custody and do not have to file for custody. I suggest you first check with a PA attorney to see if the "assumption" is a legal document which legitimated your son, or if it was just something the father signed to have his name placed on the birth certificate. There is a critical difference.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Tahira P. Piraino 3774 LaVista Road, Suite 101 Tucker, GA 30084

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search