Georgia  |  Family Law

hi, i just turned 24 on august 6th, i have 2 children 3mths and 6 yrs... i had a dfcs person call and sechedule a visit for the next day. he came and after asking some standard questions, he did say that there'd been a report on me and asked if i had a problem with prescription drug specifically xanax and morphine to which my response was no...he didnt say much else and didnt say anything in regards to if he'll be returning or anything, just said by...what should i expect i do not can not fathom my children getting taken away

Answered on: 8/13/13, 10:28 am by Laurie Thomas

If you can afford to get a urine test and maybe hair follicle test at a local lab I would go do that and hold onto the results. If DFCS does seek to take the children from you they will have a shelter care hearing. This allows you to appear and present evidence in your defense. If the kids are taken into care, DFCS has a few days to file a deprivation petition seeking custody. You have a right to have an attorney present or to apply for an attorney. I advise you do not give up that right. Also remember anything you say to DFCS can and may be used against you in a Court of law. So be cooperative, but also be careful of what you admit to and do. Ask to have time to speak to a lawyer if you don't understand something.

Law Offices of Laurie M. Thomas 2875 Hwy 80 Savannah, GA 31408