Georgia  |  Insurance Law

What can I do to get compensation? I was financing my car and was rear ended, my car was totaled I wasn't hurt. I owed 8k the insurance is only paying 4k because that is what it is valued at. I don't have gap insurance but it has almost been two weeks and I was not given a rental or any money. I'm a delivery driver full time and am losing money everyday. So now I'm going to be out of work, with no car, and owing 4 grand to the finance company. This doesn't seem right when I was not at fault. What can I do? Should I get a lawyer?

Answered on: 4/03/13, 4:01 pm by Glen Ashman

Actually, sadly, it is your fault. One NEVER should finance a car where they will be upside down without gap insurance. Your decision to save a few hundred dollars has cost you $4000.

The other insurer does have to pay for your rental until they tender the $4000.

The next car you buy, if you finance, get gap insurance. You can't fix this bad decision, but you can keep from repeating it. Good luck!

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Answered on: 4/03/13, 5:56 pm by Scott Riddle

You insured the value of the car, not the size of the loan you decided to take. I am not sure how it does not sound right. It is also not the insurance company's fault you chose to borrow more than the car is worth and not get the insurance to cover the rest.

Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC Suite 1530 Tower Place, 3340 Peachtree Road Atlanta, GA 30326