Georgia  |  Intellectual Property

I recently left my employer of 12 years to start my own business (a marketing firm). Can I display marketing pieces I created at my last employer (a construction company) in the portfolio section of my website if I remove their logo, name and contact info? Is it fair use or copyright infringement even if there is no way to track that piece back to my past employer? Thanks for your help.

Answered on: 5/11/13, 8:33 pm by Glen Ashman

Of course not. Products you design while employed belong to the employer unless you have a contract to the contrary. You do not have a right to commit theft of their intellectual property.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Answered on: 5/13/13, 8:31 am by Glenn M. Lyon, Esq.

I would advise that you not take on the risk of being sued by your former employer even if you may be successful at asserting the defense of fair use. It would be very expensive even if you win.

MacGREGOR LYON, LLC, Business Attorneys 1230 Peachtree Street, NE, Suite 3750 Atlanta, GA 30309