Legal Question in Employment Law in Georgia

What are my right if I feel my employment is being terminated for wrong reasons

Glenn M. Lyon, Esq. MacGREGOR LYON, LLC, Business Attorneys

What reasons?

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

There is no requirement that you agree. Employees can be terminated for any or no reason at all, with no notice (with very few exceptions for such things as unlawful discrimination). You may have the right to apply for unemployment compensation.

Lisa Golan Lisa B. Golan, Attorney at Law

Unless you have a contract for a fixed time period, for example, for a year or 6 months, you are an employee at will and can be fired for any reason (even for a wrong reason) so long as the reason does not violate federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin (Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended), age (the Age Discrimination in Employment Act), or pregnancy (the Pregnancy Discrimination Act). An employer also cannot terminate an employee on the basis of a physical or mental impairment that lasts more than 6 months or that is not minor or due to the need to provide FMLA leave under the Family and Medical Leave or a reasonable accommodation for a disability or record of disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Employers are also prohibited from firing employees because they have engaged in protected activity such as protesting discrimination in violation of federal law. If you believe that you have been terminated in violation of one of these laws, I would recommend that you consult with an attorney.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Georgia

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms