Illinois  |  Credit and Debt Law

what are my options. i live in a townhome that is part of an association. i pay my dues promptly every month, same day but a few years ago there was a discrepany on one month as i had swithced banks and i was charged legal fees. I spoke to a person in property management and suggested i send a letter asking if they would let me pay half of the fees . they never replied and i have neglected taking care of it. now they are taking me to court and charging me 2,000 over a 212 charge.

Answered on: 5/23/13, 5:09 pm by Chen Kasher

It occurred a few years ago? The case may be barred by what's called the statute of limitations, which is a time limit for them to file suit.

As for the $2,000 charge, you may be able to challenge it as an unfair penalty (although I suspect the $2,000 charge includes accrued interest). Under the Illinois Condominium Property Act, associations can charge "reasonable" late charges.

Without knowing more, I cannot represent or help you.

Chen Kasher 1642 E. 56th Street Chicago, IL 60637