Illinois  |  Criminal Law

My friend was arrested but then let go without charges because he was not involved in the illegal activity that was going on. There was a task force involved in the arrests with several departments participating. After my friend was released without charges, an officer from the town that my friend lives in and where the crime took place contacted my friend's landlord (the crime was not commited on the landlord's property) and told him that my friend had been arrested. Is it legal for the police to do this?

Answered on: 1/27/13, 7:28 pm by Zedrick Braden III

Hello. In my opinion, this is improper and unprofessional behavior on behalf of the police officer. Your friend is presumed innocent, until proven guilty in a court of law. Your friend should take steps to have the arrest expunged from his record. He may want to lodge a complaint against the officer with the local police department. Your friend should seek legal counsel immediately.

Will be happy to discuss this further and in more detail.

Ainsworth & Associates PC 203 North LaSalle, Suite 2100 Chicago, IL 60601