Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I am adopted and when I asked my adoptive parents about it something shocked me. I was told I was handed over by my mother in a parking lot of a restaurant is this even possible to do legally?

Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq. Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis

There is no legal requirement that a baby be "handed over" in a hospital, courtroom, or doctor's office. The legality of an adoption is dependent upon whether there has been a full and knowning relinquishment of the child and whether the adoption has been approved by a court or other agency empowered to conduct and approve adoptions. While handing over a child in a restaurant parking lot is suspicious, it isn't conclusive as to whether or not your adoption was legal. You need more information.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois