Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I receive a summons to go to court from my ex's lawyer to terminate child support (my daughter turns 18 in July). My attorney is no longer in private practice. Do I need to retain a new attorney for this or do I have to attend at all?

Asked on 5/03/13, 4:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If your daughter has graduated high school and is turns 18 in July, child support should terminate unless your agreement specifies a later date. If she plans on attending college or trade school, you need to file a motion seeking contribution for those expenses. That would not be child support.

Read more
Answered on 5/04/13, 6:33 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now