Illinois  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 2/24/09, 7:12 pm

Ex-girlfriend has moved taking child out of state

The unmarried couple has a child and lived together for a couple of years. The child is now almost two years old. The father and mother have broken their relationship up. The mother left the state 10 weeks ago with the child against the father's wishes. It was to be temporary but now is becoming long term. The father wants the child back in state so visitation could be made much easier and more frequently. There are no court ordered child support payments but the father has sent some financial assistance and most importantly wants to see his son. The mother is in rural Missouri now. The father is in a northern suburb of Chicago. Does the father have a right to require the mother (and child) to live in-state? He is also concerned that if she marries someone his son's last name could be changed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search