Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I was never served with divorce papers from my husband, I just found out, by chance, my husband got a divorce last week, I knew nothing. He got our home, and custody of our 3 minor children . How can this happen ? We have been living separate for a year.

We have been going to co-parenting counseling . I am in shock. How could this go through ? What should I do ? This was in Cook county Ill.

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.

The court probably was furnished with papers that showed you were served. It would not proceed unless your husband, through his attorney, represented to the court that you were served with summons. You need to immediately file a motion to vacate the judgment. It is best to use an attorney. Each day you wait makes it more difficult to vacate the judgment.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois