Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I was never served with divorce papers from my husband, I just found out, by chance, my husband got a divorce last week, I knew nothing. He got our home, and custody of our 3 minor children . How can this happen ? We have been living separate for a year.

We have been going to co-parenting counseling . I am in shock. How could this go through ? What should I do ? This was in Cook county Ill.

Asked on 8/19/13, 8:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The court probably was furnished with papers that showed you were served. It would not proceed unless your husband, through his attorney, represented to the court that you were served with summons. You need to immediately file a motion to vacate the judgment. It is best to use an attorney. Each day you wait makes it more difficult to vacate the judgment.

Read more
Answered on 8/20/13, 12:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now