Illinois  |  Medical Leave

I am currently on maternity leave, due to go back on October 21st. I recently got a new job and will start the new job on October 28th. If I go back to my old job and quit that day, am I obligated to pay back any of the healthcare benefits I received while on maternity leave?

Answered on: 10/05/13, 11:18 am by Betty Tsamis

If your leave is pursuant to FMLA, the Act allows the employer to recoup the money it paid for healthacre costs if you do not return to work afterthe leave has expired. You would be better off seeing if you can start the new job another week later and go back to the old job for 1-2 weeks. By way of disclaimer, this board is meant to provide only general legal information and should not serve as a substitute for competent legal advice. A qualified employment attorney can help you strategize your exit in a manner that advocates for your best interests. Many of us offer an initial telephone consultation at no costs.

Betty Tsamis

TsamisLaw Firm PC

www.tsamislaw.com

Tsamis Law Firm PC 1509 W. Berwyn, 201E Chicago, IL 60640