Legal Question in Tax Law in Illinois

I have back taxes of three years that were bought by the same person. Redemption of oldest expires 11/2/2013.Court date has been set for 12/09/2013. Can they take my home from me on the 2nd or the 9th? I went to check on how much I had left to come up with and found they had already bought this years which raised it almost $2,000 more because of all the fees. I only had a couple more hundred to go on the original 3 years that was due.

Virginia Prihoda Law Offices of Virginia Prihoda

When the redemption period expires, you are out of title to the property. To remove you physically from the property requires eviction procedures to be followed.

You need to be absolutely sure you have calculated the redemption period correctly, and ascertained the appropriate dollar amount to redeem. If you are one day late in your redemption, the successful bidder at the auction will have the opportunity to obtain title and evict you.

Only a written agreement to extend the redemption period would extend the time to redeem and the successful bidder is unlikely to cooperate.

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Illinois

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms