Illinois  |  Tax Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/23/13, 1:27 pm

I am 23, have lived on my own the 3 years. Every year, I sent my taxes to my parents and their accountant has done them for me. I always owed, but never thought anything about it, he was an accountant, right? Well, turns out my parents have been claiming me as a dependent on their own taxes. The 2012 tax season, I just did my own taxes. My parents claimed me as I claimed myself also. So now some problems have arose. They are trying to make me file an amended return where i don't claim myself. Therefore, I would have to pay back the $540 return i received from the IRS. And after the 3 years of taxes they did for me, I should have gotten that much back EVERY YEAR instead of having to pay in. Is this against the law? What can I do about it?? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!

Also, they live in Wisconsin, and I live in Illinois is that makes a difference!

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search