Illinois  |  Workers Comp

I was injured at work and am still on light duty with workers comp. Today I got fired for going to an appointment for the injury.what can I do?

Answered on: 3/22/12, 4:25 am by Nima Taradji

You need to get yourself a workers compensation attorney as soon as possible.

Taradji Law Offices 120 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2800 Chicago, IL 60602

Answered on: 3/22/12, 5:40 pm by Michael Harvath

Hi. I am an Illinois-licensed workers' compensation attorney that handles claims in all parts of the state.

I am sorry to hear about this turn of events for you, but you may have a legal recourse.

Under the Illinois workers' compensation laws, you may have a claim where you could be entitled to considerable compensation if it can be shown that your employer terminated you in retaliation for your work injury. This is called a "retaliatory discharge" claim.

Also, you have many rights under the worker's compensation law when in comes to your treatment for your injury. If you have any on-going or longer term symptoms from your injury, you are entitled to a lump sum amount of compensation, which can be a large amount, depending on the nature of your injury. We typically resolve worker's compensation claims with injuries involving on-going issues in the range of $15,000-$75,000. More detail, however, would be needed, to determine first, the approximate value of your claim, and, secondly, whether you have a case for "retaliatory discharge".

For your convenience, I can be reached directly via e-mail at mth2000@yahoo.com. I take calls on weekends also, as well as during normal business hours on weekdays. Thanks.

NOTE: This answer is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. The use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship or privilege between the user and the attorney responding.

Harvath Law Offices-INJURY case representation St. Louis, MO 63021