Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Kansas

My grandmother died 12-2009, probate was May1, 2010. She was in a nursing facility at the time of her death. My sister lived with her from 1995 - 2004 and took care of her before the nursing facility. In Grandma's hand written will, she lists my sister as having the same address as she.

At some time in the past few months, someone said that because my sister lived with and took care of grandma during these years...she may be entitled to be the legal owner of the residence.

what is the real deal?

Anthony Smith LawSmith

If your sister paid mortgage payements or spent her own money to improve the residence, she may have claim agianst your grandmother's estate. These claims are often resolved by the other devisees and heirs at law giving or selling at a reduced price, the property to that family menber. She has no absolute right to ownership of the property.

Good luck

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Kansas