Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

Child Guardianship

I live in Illinios, my 21 year old daughter lives in Louisiana. She has a 2 year old daughter that I would like to take off. She is willing to give me full guardianship rights. There is no father on the birth certificate, no child support, etc. Is there an easy way to file for guardianship?

John Steele Steele Law Firm

Re: Child Guardianship

You posted this question previously. I also was curious if you are living in IL. If so, and if the child was living currently in IL, you need to apply IL law, which means an IL attorney.

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: Child Guardianship

Custody by Mandate gives you custody for 1 year or until the mother terminates it, whichever comes first. Then when you get the child you can file a simple document in ILL and make it more permanent.

David Hesser Law Offices of David C. Hesser

Re: Child Guardianship

You can file a petition for custody and have her sign a consent judgment giving you custody. The consent judgment would be submitted and signed by the judge and would control the custody issue until a court orders otherwise. Or, you can have her sign a notarized form called a provisional custody by mandate which is good for upto one year and is not filed with the court. Please feel free to contact me if you need to hire someone to draft the documents.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana