Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

Child Guardianship

I live in Illinios, my 21 year old daughter lives in Louisiana. She has a 2 year old daughter that I would like to take off. She is willing to give me full guardianship rights. There is no father on the birth certificate, no child support, etc. Is there an easy way to file for guardianship?

Asked on 1/31/08, 8:17 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

John Steele Steele Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Child Guardianship

You posted this question previously. I also was curious if you are living in IL. If so, and if the child was living currently in IL, you need to apply IL law, which means an IL attorney.

Read more
2/01/08, 4:58 pm
Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Child Guardianship

Custody by Mandate gives you custody for 1 year or until the mother terminates it, whichever comes first. Then when you get the child you can file a simple document in ILL and make it more permanent.

Read more
2/01/08, 8:18 am
David Hesser Law Offices of David C. Hesser
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Child Guardianship

You can file a petition for custody and have her sign a consent judgment giving you custody. The consent judgment would be submitted and signed by the judge and would control the custody issue until a court orders otherwise. Or, you can have her sign a notarized form called a provisional custody by mandate which is good for upto one year and is not filed with the court. Please feel free to contact me if you need to hire someone to draft the documents.

Read more
2/01/08, 9:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88273 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now