Legal Question in Health Care Law in Louisiana

Medical Management in Louisiana

I am a businessman, I have connections with many plantiff and defense firms in Louisiana. I have worked in the medical sector for many years and have been urged to open a clinic at a local hospital for med-legal, workers comp., and private insurance pay specialty work. Can I as a layperson employ a surgeon (or any specialist for that matter), and can I bill under my business tax ID for his/her work? I have a billing company, so the logistics are no problem. Also, can I employ other physicians to work on salary, and bill for the services they provide on private pay patients that I bring into the clinic?

Asked on 2/14/07, 4:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Perry Staub Taggart Morton
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Medical Management in Louisiana

You can, as a provider of healthcare, open a business (going through all of the state requirements), employ whoever you want and bill for those services under your TIN. If you are going to do any kind of billing of insurance and/or provide Medicare/Medicaid services then you need to have and use UPIN's for the doctors. Either way, there are some basic prudent processes that need to be put in place such as credentialing, medical malpractice, policies and procedures, but since you have a billing practice I would presuppose that you are familiar with these requirements.

Read more
Answered on 2/15/07, 11:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Health Care Law questions and answers in Louisiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Health Care Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now