Louisiana  |  Health Care Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 2/14/07, 4:53 pm

Medical Management in Louisiana

I am a businessman, I have connections with many plantiff and defense firms in Louisiana. I have worked in the medical sector for many years and have been urged to open a clinic at a local hospital for med-legal, workers comp., and private insurance pay specialty work. Can I as a layperson employ a surgeon (or any specialist for that matter), and can I bill under my business tax ID for his/her work? I have a billing company, so the logistics are no problem. Also, can I employ other physicians to work on salary, and bill for the services they provide on private pay patients that I bring into the clinic?

1 Answer

Answered on: 2/15/07, 11:51 am by Perry Staub

Re: Medical Management in Louisiana

You can, as a provider of healthcare, open a business (going through all of the state requirements), employ whoever you want and bill for those services under your TIN. If you are going to do any kind of billing of insurance and/or provide Medicare/Medicaid services then you need to have and use UPIN's for the doctors. Either way, there are some basic prudent processes that need to be put in place such as credentialing, medical malpractice, policies and procedures, but since you have a billing practice I would presuppose that you are familiar with these requirements.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Taggart Morton 2100 Energy Centre New Orleans, LA 70163-2100

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search