Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

Child custody and moving...

If we have joint custody..1 week on and 1 week off and my ex didn't return them back to me and moved them out of state, won't allow me to talk or know where they are...if I find them can I bring them back to the original state and renrolll them in the school they were going to? I've tried emergency custody and was told it was not an emergency because they were with their mother

Paula McGill Paula McGill Attorney at Law

It may not be emergency custody, but it may be considered contempt.

You should consider filing for contempt and a modification of the custody order as soon as possible.

Also, you may consider contacting the police in the county where she took them. Some police departments will require a turnover if they have a court order. You should consider going to the house with the police. I would not recommend taking them by force on your own. You may wind up in jail on domestic violence. If she's willing to take them out of state in violation of the court's order, she'll may be willing to lie about domestic violence to gain an advantage over you.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland