Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

alimony

My husband filed for divorce after 9 yrs of separation, can I make him help me financially because I was just terminated from my employment due to medical illness. I'm living with a domestic partner for 2 yrs now and with his income alone we hardly can survived financially. My husband and me had a 14 yrs old son whom we have joint custody. My husband was 66 yrs but owned a plumbing company, no debts and living well. Thank you so much for any legal advice.

Steven Scheinin Steven J. Scheinin, Lawyer

Alimony

You can seek both child support and alimony from your husband. However you only have 30 days to answer his divorce petition. You should consult with a family lawyer, like myself, in properly answering his lawsuit and demanding your rightful portion of the the marriage.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland