Maryland  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/22/08, 4:54 am

temporary custody issues

In the state of Maryland:

1. In a situation where grandparents have had temporary custody of their grandchild, and the parents are no longer together, do the parents pay child support to the grandparents? And if so, what if the grandparents have not requested them to? If child support must be paid, if there is visitation that requires airfare, is airfare taken into account of the amount of child support paid. 2. If both parents gave the temporary custody to the grandparents, do both parents have to take legal action such as signing papers, or going to court, to get custody back to one or both of the parents. Or can one parent get custody from the grandparents without the others permission? 3. Is it possible for one parent to give up his or her parental rights to the other parent after getting back custody from the grandparents. Neither parent is married. What if the grandparents insist upon one parent giving up their parental will not give custody to the other parent? Is it possible for one parent to give up parental rights to the grandparents whom have temporary custody, such as letting them adopt the child, is open adoption an option in cases like this? Would that parent need the other parents approval to do this?

Thank you!

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search