Maryland  |  Personal Injury

9-22-13 It has been 2 1/2 months since my personal injury case settled and my attorney placed my settlement money in his account; since then, his attitude toward me has become very hostile and accusatory. He badgered me to settle saying he could not win my case where 2 years ago he said he could. He is now holding on to my money saying he has to wait on medicare when he knows all of my bills were made and paid at least a year before I turned 65 and became medicare eligible and that I did not use medicare for any of my expenses.

I have asked him several time about being sent to collection and an almost law suit from one of my doctors when I gave them: his name and contact information, 2 different insurance providers and they are in my medical insurance network. He has not addressed this matter and just says he does not know why they took the action that they did; not give a solution.

He has written a medical expense sheet and on it are bills that were paid by my insurance and not owed. When I asked if I could pay the doctors myself, he said he had to pay them out of the settlement money. He also sent me a letter saying that he would not be responsible for any bills that surfaced after he paid the bills he felt I owed, based on his findings. I have informed him on several occasions that the doctor who sent me to collections for an accident in less than 1 1/2 years had: my PIP, medical insurance and his contact information, is in my insurance network, accepted payments from my insurance, to whom I make co-pays, is on the settlement sheet for the difference of the insurance payment; the attorney has not addressed this issue at all. He also did not get any of my bills reduced.

He handled another case where the payments had to be made to my companies medical recovery group. When I tell about this, he says he does not know anything about it.

What can I do about getting the bills resolved, have him reduce his fee, and receive interest for the time that he has held my money in his account?