Legal Question in Tax Law in Maryland

Capital gains tax on property

MY mother has given my brother and I a house free and clear. It is not our primary residence. When my brother and I go to sell the property will we owe any capital gains tax

Asked on 10/17/07, 2:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ronald Cappuccio Ronald J. Cappuccio, J.D., LL.M.(Tax)
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Capital gains tax on property

ABSOLUTELY! Since the property was a gift, you received a "carryover" basis. This means the basis in the property is the same as your mother had. The difference between the sales proceeds and the basis is capital gain.

Depending upon your circumstances, either you or your brother may try to make this your primary residence for 2 years to take advantage of the $250k capital gain exception.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio

Read more
Answered on 10/17/07, 9:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now