Legal Question in Tax Law in Maryland

Do I have to split our tax return?

My wife and I are currently in the middle of a divorce, even though we have been separated since July of 2008. I am active duty Military stationed in Maryland, but I am a Texas resident. She is a part time student and raises our son and resides in Ohio. For the better part of the 2011 tax year, I financially support her due to she was not working. My question is, since I was the sole income provider and the agreed upon monthly support that I gave to her was not taxed, all taxes where taken out from my part of my income, I filed married-joint claiming her and my son as dependents, do I have to split the federal tax return with her?

Asked on 3/13/12, 6:35 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There are more matters than your question presents and you should contact me to discuss.

Read more
Answered on 3/19/12, 8:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now