Legal Question in Traffic Law in Maryland

I was pulled over for registration, emission and inspection. The police ended up taking the plates off my car and told me to pull into the nearest parking lot (which was a hsopital) until I could get the car moved somewhere else. This all happened on a weekend I was home from college so I was going to be leaving in a day. I asked my dad if he could take care of the problem. Which he said yes to and I gave him the keys to my car. He did move the car from the hospital (I'm not sure how) and moved it to his friends shop, which was in a completely different county. At the hospital was the last time I saw the car or had keys to the car. I told him to just get rid of the car and all the cars paperwork was in the glovebox. When I asked my dad about it on a later day he said they he got rid of it. Later on (after I found out I had a suspended license) I was looking up my driving record and saw a case against me for an abandoned vehicle which was in the county that my dad had dropped the car off at. Now I have a warant and 650 in court fines/tickets. What are the chances I can be found not guilty in this case and what should I bring to court (if anything)?

Thomas Valkenet Young & Valkenet

You may have an explanation, but it's not an excuse. It was your car, not Dad's, and so you remain responsible. And you must deal with the suspension, the lack of registration and the other items. Getting rid of the car didn't make the charges go away. In which County are you being prosecuted?

William Welch William L. Welch, III Attorney

An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Steven Scheinin Steven J. Scheinin, Lawyer

Bring a lawyer to court with you.

Jason Cleckner Law Office of Jason Cleckner, LLC

Are you charged with driving while suspended?

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Maryland