Michigan  |  DUI Law

Extremely confused

What are the penalties for a first time DUI? My boyfriend (who is 24 yrs old) got a DUI February of 2004 and went to jail for sixteen days. He's been going for probation once a month and he pay's $40 every time. He went to probation yesterday and he somehow owes about $1700, and he needs to have that paid by this coming Thursday or he'll go back to jail for 49 days. For a first time DUI, isn't this a tad harsh? None of this sounds accurate to me. I've only known him for a month and a half, so, I'm hoping he's telling me the truth about all of this. I guess I'm just curious to know if this seems inaccurate to anyone else. Thank you for your time.

Answered on: 1/11/05, 2:33 pm by Charles Kronzek

Re: Extremely confused

This is a very harsh sentence for a first offense. There is either more to the story or he did not have an aggressive attorney representing him.

The probation orders and the entire court file are all public records and can be reviewed by you at the Clerk of the Court at the courthouse.

Kronzek & Cronkright P.L.L.C. Main office - 420 S. Waverly Road Suite 100 Lansing, MI 48917

Answered on: 1/11/05, 3:52 pm by William Morrison

Re: Extremely confused

If he was convicted in the 48th District Court (your zipcode), first offenders have been sent to jail and the probation provisions have been strict. The facts and circumstances surrounding his arrest and his post-arrest activities have something to do with it.

You can check with the clerk.

Action Defense Center 4000 Livernois, Suite 140 Troy, MI 48098-4712