Michigan  |  Family Law

I'm a 19 year old single mom, I'm going to college, working, and taking care of my baby. The baby's daddy wants to fight for joint custody of the baby while he left to college and he is in the baby's life only whe he can. He is living his dream without worries about the baby and his mother is a contro freak and is advising him to do this. I also want to peruse my dream and going to the Air Force but I have to give full custody of my baby and would like to give it to my mother. No one else, what can I do?

Answered on: 3/23/12, 6:24 pm by William Stern

How does your mother feel about this? Is it fair to your child to be raised by an older person? How can you compare joining the military with the joys of being a good mother? The military is cool for people in a position to take that route. You chose another path when you had the child. As far as the father is concerned, the fact that he has a minimal relationship with the child is not only his loss now, but times that he will never be able to relive.

William Stern, P.C. 24750 Lahser Road Southfield, MI 48033