Michigan  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

I just recently purchased a rental home in which I live in the other half. Does the renters lease become null and void when I take over? I also would like to raise the rent because of his constant neglect of tearing up the yard when he parks and leaves. He tears up the grass and now there are big ruts in the lawn. This has been going on since he moved in before I took over. He has also moved his girlfriend and her two children into the apartment. He also insists on putting chairs on the roof, which at one time used to be a balcony, but I don't want to be responsible for his stupidity.

Answered on: 2/17/12, 9:00 am by Renee Walsh

The answer depends on your contract for purchase. If you did not agree to take over the rental contract, then you are not obligated under its terms. The tenants are tenants however and they are entitled to legal notice of an increase in rent. You will want to enter into a written lease agreement with them spelling out your terms. Sounds like it may be a good idea to evict these tenants and find more responsible tenants of your choosing.

If you would like further information on how to evict a tenant, please visit my website at www.lawrefs.com.

Solo Practitioner P.O. Box 1674 Okemos, MI 48805-1674