Legal Question in Traffic Law in Michigan

leaving the scene of a property damage accident

what am I facing with this ticket? is it possible to get the charge reduced? what are the points and the typical fines and court costs associated with this charge?

Asked on 11/03/08, 10:18 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy Klisz Klisz Law Office, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: leaving the scene of a property damage accident

It is a serious misdemeanor, but with a good record and good attorney, you can cut a decent deal. If you are in SE Michigan, contact me at to discuss your options. Tim Klisz

Read more
Answered on 11/04/08, 8:50 am
William Morrison Action Defense Center
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: leaving the scene of a property damage accident

This is a crime, a misdemeanor, the punishment for which depends upon 1. your prior record and 2. why you left the scene.

If you have prior drunk driving or alcohol related crimes, there will be a presumption that you fled to avoid a drunk driving charge. This can result in jail time, heavy fines, probation, rehabilitation, license suspension, points, and costly state reinstatement fees.

If you had an acceptable reason for leaving the scene and a clean record, you'll be able to plead down to no operator's license on person and pay a relatively small fine - if you do it right.

Read more
Answered on 11/04/08, 12:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Michigan

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now