Legal Question in Construction Law in Minnesota

I am a Subcontractor in the construction business in Minnesota. I have a client who has left me unpaid on numerous jobs for over a year. He is a General Roofing contractor and I had been patient with him, though now I am seeing that this was a mistake. I am now far past the 45 day time limit to file a mechanics lien on the properties where i supplied my material and labor. So my question is, because a mechanics lien is no longer an option in my attempt to collect, is there any other Legal recourse for me to collect on this unpaid debt? Or because I did not protect myself through a mechanics lien, can he just not pay me and get away with it?

Jon

Minneapolis, MN

Daniel Reiff Reiff Law Office

Jon,

You are not completely out of luck. Obviously, you know that a mechanic's lien is your best bet to recovery. However, it is not your only option. There are other options out there such as a breach of contract claim, unjust enrichment, and a so-called constitutional lien. Obviously, you would need an attorney to help you with those and go into more depth. I highly recommend you retain counsel immediately before your claims become even more stale.

More Construction Law questions and answers in Minnesota

Construction Law Legal Forms