Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

My wife has a 12 year old son from a previous marriage who I would like to adopt. His biological father is not in the picture at all and she has sole custody. We live in Minnesota. So, how do I go about adopting him?

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. An attorney will be happy to assist you with this matter. Notice to the biological father will be made. If the father's whereabouts are unknown, a reasonable effort at notifying the father will be made. Sometimes, the biological parent will cooperate and be supportive of the adoption. Some attorneys will provide reduced fee for financial hardship, and a sliding fee scale type of fee structure. Some attorneys will assist in a 'limited scope' manner to conserve legal costs. You are welcome to contact me. All the best to you and your family.

Tricia Dwyer Esq

Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone 612-296-9666

FAMILY LAW

ADOPTION LAW

FAMILY LAW MEDIATOR

CHILDREN & THE LAW

Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

The biological father's rights must be terminated. The simplest fashion for tis to occur, is to locate the father and seek an agreement to terminate parental rights and proceed with a step parent adoption. If he will not agree, a contested termination of parental rights case must be commenced.

Maury D. Beaulier

Attorney at Law

(612) 240-8005

maury@beaulier.com

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota