Legal Question in Employment Law in Minnesota

My employer garnished my enitre last paycheck stating I owed him for a professional conference I attended. I did sign a contract stating I would agree to payroll deductions if I did not hold an informative meeting with my fellow employees informing them of the conference content within 3 months of return. I was terminated 9 months later for other reasons however there was no discussion of deductions or the garnishment would take place.. It is my understanding even with permission or judgement it is a federal law that a paycheck cannot be garnished below minimum wage in the state of MN the law as I understand it states no garnishment can be more than 25% of my paycheck. Can I sue my employer for my wages?

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. I suggest you view the excellent materials at the Minnesota Department of Labor website and then contact a private attorney, as appropriate to your issues, at that point. You are welcome to contact me. Know that generally: Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

TRICIA DWYER, ESQ.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily

dwyer.tricia@gmail.com

http://dwyerlawfirm.net

EMPLOYMENT LAW

WAGE LAW

CIVIL LAW

LAWSUITS

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Minnesota

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms