Legal Question in Criminal Law in Mississippi

legal searches

I recently had a run in with the police where they had a warrant to search my house for one thing, that my roommate was doing without my knowledge, and they found something on me. Can they do that? What they got on me was ''not'' in sight. Matter of fact, it was hidden. What they got on me had ''nothing'' I repeat ''nothing'' to do with the warrant. It would be handled by two totally different departments.

Jeffrey Padgett Padgett Law Firm, pllc

Re: legal searches

Mr. Nimocks is dead on, and I can think of nothing else to add except that you now have a response from an atty in North Mississippi.

Austin Nimocks Austin R. Nimocks & Associates, P.L.L.C.

Re: legal searches

It really depends on the warrant, but generally the police are allowed to search any area of the home which your roomate uses, goes into, and/or has access to and they are allowed to search any place within such rooms where they may find the item for which they are looking. For example, if looking for a gun, they can open a dresser drawer, but they can't look inside a wallet (where a gun wouldn't fit). So, generally, if the police find "B" in the process of a legitimate search for "A," too bad. Let me know if we can help further.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Mississippi