Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Mississippi

I recieved a settlement check from a trucking company that was involved with the death of my father, upon recieving the check I deposited it in a savings account that had both my name and my cousins name on it. We both made a verbal agreement that she was not to touch any of the money in the account simce it was rightfully mine. About a week or two later she came to me asking if she could borrow $8,000 to help her pay what she owed to the I.R.S and I told her the only way I would do that was if she paid it back she agreed, now being my cousin I agreed verbally with her that I would help her. It has been a little over a year and she has yet paid me anything and she is avoiding me that way she doesn't have to pay. My question is is there any legal action I can take in order to get my money back?

Asked on 12/02/11, 10:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Albert Pettigrew Law Offices Ph 228-875-8736
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You can ask her to sign a note or other memorandum of your agreement, sue her to bring the matter to a head, or ask her to agree to have someone mediate or arbitrate between the two of you.

Read more
Answered on 12/08/11, 7:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Mississippi

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now