Legal Question in Intellectual Property in Missouri

Here's my situation: A while ago, I was contracted by a friend to do some freelance design for their up and coming company. I signed an original contract saying that the rights to the design would belong to the company upon payment. However, my contract was terminated before the end of the contract and now some of my designs are being edited by the company and misused. Since I was never employed by the company, and since no stipulations were made upon my termination, do I still maintain rights over the logo I designed? In specific terms, 3 days before the expiration of the contract and before payment (though I did receive payment, but less than the original stated amount) I was "dismissed" as the graphic artist. I should still maintain the copyrights, correct?

Bruce Burdick Burdick Law Firm

No, the contact most likely assigned your copyright to the company. You now merely have a possible monetary claim for any unpaid compensation due you.

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in Missouri

Intellectual Property Legal Forms