Missouri  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/30/13, 8:42 am

My girlfriend of 20+ years has racked up over $25,000 dollars in loans over those 20 years. I would like to get her to sign a paper or whatever is necessary to protect me from losing the money in the event of a break up. Can you please advise if I need a witness, notary, etc.? Many thanks!

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/30/13, 9:35 am by Anthony Smith

If the loans are only in her name, and you two aren't married, it seems unlikely that her creditors would come after you. But, if you just want to ease your mind, have her sign a letter listing the loans, and telling you that she doesn't expect you to repay them. If her signature is notarized, it will help, if she later denies signing it.

Good luck

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

LawSmith P.O. Box 2336 Lee's Summit, MO 64063

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search