Legal Question in Family Law in Missouri

My ex is in prison and is not up for release until 2021. He does not pay child support and has no contact with my children. His crime was a sexual crime against a 15 year old. I am about to be engaged and would like my future husband to adopt my children. How do I go about getting my ex's parental rights terminated?

Anthony Smith LawSmith

The easiest route is if your ex consents to the adoption and relinquishes his rights. If he doe snot, you will have to prove that he is unfit. Unfortunately for you incarceration is not normally a grounds for a finding of unfitness. It may be our responsibility to take your children to see their father. Thes things are very fact specific. You probably cannot provide enough information here to fuly dvise you. Therefore, before you decide how to go, you should consult directly with a family law attorney in your area. Many offer a free or low cost initial consultation.

Good luck

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Missouri